Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Procrastinating

I am procrastinating on the retelling of the fishing village visit.

I am NOT procrastinating (anymore) on designing, planning, cutting and sewing the quilt that I am making for my brother-in-law, Frankie. Did I mention a Christmas deadline?

This bit of scrawl represents my design. Looks are deceiving, but if what's in my head can be translated into clever colour choices and good technique, then the result will please, but I realise my mud map may not suggest this!

I don't have a photo of the next step - planning the blocks and auditioning fabric. Suffice to say many bits of fabric were strewn about everywhere! My helper Lily must have exclaimed to herself some Indonesian equivalent of "what on earth has happened here?!" when she saw the mess I was making.

I am working with a limited 'stash' here in Jak and this means I have to be very flexible during the creative process - oh no, not enough of this print, or of this one, or that one...coming up with alternatives, tweaking and re-tweaking my design and dreaming up a plan B and then C.

The brief was "jewel tones". That's it. So I can interpret this anyway I fancy really. I am making my strip sets in shades of sapphire, emerald, ruby and garnet, amethyst, turquoise and topaz, and something unexpected, smoky blacks for onyx and mauvey-grays for opal. Lots of colours, lots of prints - just the way I like it!

Progress is well under way. I now have a nice group of strip sets in pretty colourways,

ready for slicing up into quarter square triangles, like so...

These pretty triangles must now be sewn back together. (Ahhh, the cut/sew, re-cut/re-sew aspect of patch-working -seemingly illogical but actually quite purposeful behaviour.) A work ethic like my mother's and my sisters' wouldn't go astray right about now if I am to have this ready for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment